Wednesday, February 20, 2008





We were starving at that point and settled down to our first real meal. Aside from amazing cheap and good food, the highlight was perhaps getting a fake plastic rose from a Thai guy who was too afraid to give it to me himself and so he had his friend do it. Needless to say, this was the most romantic part of my valentines dayJ I feel like if I had chose to study in Thailand instead of Hong Kong I would be healthier but perhaps gain more weight. I didn’t think that a place could make Hong Kong seem expensive but Thailand managed just this. There is a plethora of street food always fresh and available and it is way too easy to just spend 60 cents here and a dollar there for a fresh pineapple on a stick, some refreshing coconut juice, the best OJ I’ve ever had, mango sticky rice, pad thai, banana pancake, rose apples, Thai iced tea, spring rolls…I could go on and on. Let’s just say that I ate a lot this weekend but I did it all for very little amount of money. We had a feast of seven big dishes for five people one night and each ordered a fruit smoothie and the bill totaled $5. Amazing. If you are reading this and you know me, you will understand how excited I get about cheap things. Cheap things combined with food and you get one fat and happy Melissa. I think the best food we had was at this vegetarian restaurant where you could sit down and eat (I’ve always wanted to do this but realized post-cross legged sitting that it is less comfortable and way to easy to just lay down and accept the It is). We got fresh food that had tons of vegetables in it (Hong Kong veggies are kind of lacking) to the sound so Thai music videos and with a little baby just cruising around us. We went there both nights we were in Bangkok but still managed to try the street pad thai several times. The fresh and ready fruit was the best part of the street food though as it was often a refreshing quencher in the heat (although my body definitely felt the abrupt change in diet…).

No comments: