Tuesday, January 22, 2008





So after the tour we got let off early to make our floor dinner. We went to Mong Kok to shop around the area for a bit, found the temple street night market and continued to look at the various stands there that sold anything from crazy man thongs to ancient Chinese coins. I had no idea that you could just set up shop some places and sell sex toys right there in the open. As if my stomach wasn’t already uneasy, we had clay pot seafood based dinner. We met the rest of the floor (co-ed) and hiked up these inconspicuous stairs to this fluorescently lit room. I was commenting on the harsh lighting to Emma when she pointed out that it was really a good thing because with the new strange things we were eating…we wanted to actually see our food. Such an interesting contrast to being on a bus with exchange students all day, our floor mates truly defy all the rumors that go around about the locals not being friendly. I will admit that I wasn’t that adventuresome and only tried fried oysters and this fish dish in the claypot. But everyone else was massaging large shrimp to get the meat out and delicately placing the rest of it on the table. They had snails and eel, liver and honey sausage. It was quite a feast but I left it without having eaten much (which was just fine for what was to come afterward).


*picture of dried food store included

No comments: