Sunday, January 13, 2008

Getting Oriented


So after my first real meal in Hong Kong, a breakfast that cost about $1.50, we made our way to orientation only to be arranged by country. This seemed to be counter productive to me but I suppose they thought we’d all feel more comfortable with people that we could “relate” to. The presentation began with a brief welcome and introduction of key administrators we would need to get to know. But quickly segwayed into a magic show (of course…). We got about a ten minute performance from a member of the “magic club” on campus and although we seemed to all be thoroughly entertained I was starting to get how things sort of work here. Strange use of entertainment or something. But we then were asked to draw things on a board that were to represent our country. This was a good way to see where everyone was from and I think out of about 200 international students there were over 20 countries represented. We were given an overwhelming presentation about what we need to do and tips and reminders and all that fun stuff but we left the room four hours later a bit dazed. What better thing than Starbucks sandwiches and coffee to cure that? Yes, there is a Starbucks on campus. I was going to get one on the plane before departing because I didn’t think I’d have one for four months but I guess it was all in vain. There are many many American corporations here. The rest of the day we ran around doing a lot of logistic stuff but everything seemed to take twice as long because the campus is a maze. I know it will take some getting used to but I for now I am amazed at how the architect of the campus decided that this was a good layout. There are four different levels and plenty of hills and stairs to go with them. I expect to come home with buns of steel. The plus side of hills is the view of the water but the downside is that it is often hidden by the fog/smog. It is very polluted here. Some people walk around in face masks and all of us feel a little new tingle in our throat from the hours and hours of walking next to hoards of taxis and the double-decker buses they have here. Beside the point, bottom line is that after orientation I didn’t really feel that much more orientated. But I was optimistic after meeting so many potentially interesting new people. I swear hope and a bit of effort is what is going to get me through this semester.

No comments: