Monday, May 5, 2008

Soho

The "travellator" as we recently found it to be called (apparently it runs down hill in the morning so people don't have to actually inconvenience themselves and have to walk down hill)


"The Feather Boa"- an indiscriminant bar that is always packed of peole sipping $10 strawberry margaritas with glasses coated in frosty chocolate that are simply to die for. Too bad you can't move from point A to point B without feeling like you are going to spill your drink.


Knicknack Chinese goods for sale (red being a lucky color, imagine how I felt when I wore a green shirt the day of the torch relay when everyone was decked out in red...)


A restaurant lined street strung with red lanterns and construction

I don’t really know what you could call Soho. It is a district or area of Hong Kong that is filled with a strangely segmented mixture of ex-pats in nice suits and heels and local Hong Kong people who sell fresh vegetables just a block over. It sits about LKF and so you see a younger more rambunctious crowd traipse through it during the nights and it reeks of good, over priced food and what they have come to call “fine living”. There are antiques, western breakfasts, kitschy stores and the ever important “travelator” that carries people up and even down its steep slopes. I have told you all that I have tried to like Chinese food but have sort of thrown my hands up after so many tries. (The only street food place I have been to in Hong Kong is in Soho). So, when I am not cooking, I am usually eating a nice meal, just every so often, in Soho. Departing there shortly for Emma and Jojo’s official birthday dinner (us cheapO students do the 2 for 1 Monday specials “I love Soho” puts on). I didn’t want to fall into a Western lifestyle when living in the East but the thing about Hong Kong is that you can get unidentifiable street food and boba tea for lunch and then get a five star meal later that night. I don’t know many places that are this diverse. And I am all about diversity.

No comments: